Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Intent, part II: Going legit.

Yesterday I renewed the lease on my website. It's been a year now that I have been living and working for myself full-time. Throughout the endeavor, my Life/Work credo has been and remains:

Take your life as seriously as your work.

As a functioning workaholic, strict adherence to that thesis resulted in a lot of Life. I made a discipline of loafing.


As summer approached, I appraised my year. I spent a great deal of time with myself, which is harder than it sounds. While learning to love life, I remembered that I love work too. As the year revolved, I guess I did too, going through a season of living, and returning to a season of working. I've come to see the insight of the credo, inverted:

Take your work as seriously as your life.

Indeed. How can I devote myself to leisure if I am not equally devoted to labor?


So I'm beginning to codify and compartmentalize my work, to some extent. At the same time, I find myself on the verge of a large commission, having been fortunate to experience some modest professional success in the past year. So I begin with the establishment of a studio, as a greater entity: Steiner Steiner LLC. The next step is designing the studio's finances. I'm also revising the website, in order to better brand the studio.


As I work through the process of setting up the studio and getting down to work, I hope to keep the dust to a minimum. The ultimate goal is to create a healthy balance between Life and Work. My hypothesis is that Life and leisure should have much greater weight than is currently deemed respectable.

Increasing the written component of the blog, I hope to explore a few other ideas:
Three things
The analogy of design as poetry
Branding, and specifically sustainability branding

One final note: I originally intended this blog to be a purely personal, online repository of my inspirations and thoughts. In the past year, I've come to truly appreciate the input of the people who know me best. So if anyone is reading this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything you find here. A thousand thanks!


That all being said:
L'chaim! To life!

No comments:

Post a Comment